Mike Wynn Circuit
A long day trip that travels through high passes East of the Icefields Parkway and across from the Columbia Icefields. The trailhead for the The Mike Wynn Circuit is just over an hours drive from Jasper townsite. The route goes up through the woods just north of the Weeping Wall along the Icefields Parkway for about an hour. We soon break into open meadows with grand views. It’s a steady climb to the first high pass. From here we descend a small glacier to a broad valley that takes us to Nigel pass and from there back to the highway. The trip can take 8-12 hours depending on conditions.
See Pricing & Booking.
What to bring
Ski Touring Equipment List
Rental equipment is available at Gravity Gear in Jasper.
CLOTHING: Be prepared for cold and windy conditions. The following list is a minimum amount of clothing.
- long underwear (top and bottom)
- insulation layer (e.g. fleece/wool shirt)
- wind layer or fleece jacket
- goretex pants and jacket
- gloves and/or mitts
- touring/telemark skis, boots and bindings
- Snowboarders; a split board works well, but snow shoes are not permitted, as they are not practical in the terrain we will be using.
- ski poles (collapsable poles are best for snowboarders)
- climbing skins that fit your skis or splitboard
- *avalanche beacon / shovel / probe
THINGS YOU DON’T WANT TO FORGET!:
- water (1 litre minimum)
- lunch (plan for several shorter breaks)
- sunglasses and ski goggles
- blister kit (“Compeed” brand of blister bandage works really well)
HANDY ITEMS: (optional)
- down jacket