A classic winter summit. This alpine skiing/mountaineering trip combines great skiing and fun scrambling to a spectacular summit.
An hours drive from Jasper takes us to the parking lot where we quickly ski out of the trees and into a narrow valley on the boundary of Banff and Jasper National Parks. This trip has it all in a very compact way. We quickly gain the Boundary glacier with stunning views of bare ice all around. From the Boundary glacier we gain a high call and switch into climbing mode where we spend roughly 45 minutes climbing to the exposed summit of A2. There are several options for great ski lines along the way. This trip can take anywhere from 7-9 hours depending on conditions.
See Pricing & Booking.
What to bring
Ski Touring Equipment List
Rental equipment is available at Gravity Gear in Jasper.
CLOTHING: Be prepared for cold and windy conditions. The following list is a minimum amount of clothing.
- long underwear (top and bottom)
- insulation layer (e.g. fleece/wool shirt)
- wind layer or fleece jacket
- goretex pants and jacket
- gloves and/or mitts
- touring/telemark skis, boots and bindings
- Snowboarders; a split board works well, but snow shoes are not permitted, as they are not practical in the terrain we will be using.
- ski poles (collapsable poles are best for snowboarders)
- climbing skins that fit your skis or splitboard
- *avalanche beacon / shovel / probe
THINGS YOU DON’T WANT TO FORGET!:
- water (1 litre minimum)
- lunch (plan for several shorter breaks)
- sunglasses and ski goggles
- blister kit (“Compeed” brand of blister bandage works really well)
HANDY ITEMS: (optional)
- down jacket